Tuesday, 7 September 2010

Irony on the M25

What a strange thing life is. It never fails to amaze me how its fickle hand can take you by the scruff of the neck and give you a good old yank just to let you know who’s in charge.
I’m currently working for a company in London but live about 100 miles away so I drive down and stay over (hotel living ... not good). Travelling along the infamous M25 and in stop start traffic I decided to hit the back bar of an articulated lorry. Stupidly I hadn’t quite worked out the stop start sequence thingy so he was stopping whilst I was most definitely starting - hence accident. Couldn’t tell the damage from where I sat but it didn’t look too bad as I could only see a small crease in the bonnet. There was no hard shoulder for me to pull over and look and there was no damage to the lorry. So I carried on with the intention of getting to the next services and having a look. The traffic began to speed up and all seemed well with the world. 5 miles to next services said the sign – easy make that thought I. 2 miles later the car said different. It was the burning I smelt first and then the smoke spewing from under the bonnet - time to pull over I thought. When I stopped, I got out of the car and had a look at the front. The lorries’ crash bar had gone right through the grill smashing the two head lights and taking the radiator right up into the engine for good measure. For the age of the car and the mileage there were only two words that came to mind -- ‘right off’.
I got back in the car, put my head in my hands and cursed all and sundry. At this point there was the familiar ding-ding of an incoming text message and the fickle hand of fate decided to ring my neck with a noose made of irony for this is what the message said – ‘Your xxxxcover.com car insurance has just been renewed for another year. Thank you so much for staying with us. The first premium will come out on etc.....‘.
I knew that if the car was a right off I would have money deducted for excess, and have to pay in full a whole years premiums after getting 3 hours use out of my insurance policy, and of course get a new motor.
Not a good day.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to blogging brother.......
    I can't wait to hear more.
    x

    ReplyDelete